When a storm hits, the roof is most susceptible to costly damage. Fallen tree branches, flying debris, hail and wind are common causes of roofing damage.
Signs of damage include holes in the roof, missing shingles, split seams and cracked, broken or curled shingles. If you have asphalt shingles, look for dents or bruises. Because asphalt shingles are coated with tiny metallic granules that protect your home from damaging UV-rays, look for an accumulation of granules in your gutters and downspouts. Loose granules often precede more serious problems, including roof deterioration, leaking, flooding and structural compromise.
Common Signs of Roofing Damage
- Holes in the roof
- Split seams
- Missing shingles
- Bruises or dented asphalt shingles
- Cracked or broken tile, slate, or concrete shingles
- Granules collecting in gutters or downspouts
- Leaks in your roof or ceiling
- Dents on vents, gutters, or flashing